- Ich liebe Budapest »
- Outside Budapest
The Royal Palace
The Palace is one of the most important, largest monuments of Hungarian Palace architecture. Its builder, Count Antal Grassalkovich I (1694-1771) was a typical figure of the regrouping Hungarian aristocracy of the 18th century. He was a Royal Septemvir, president of the Hungarian Chamber, and confidant of Empress Maria Theresa (1740-1780). The construction began around 1733, under the direction of András Mayerhoffer (1690-1771) a Salzburg builder.
Szentendre is known as the town of living art due to its artist colony of international renown, and its museums and galleries. With its well preserved, distinctive 18th-century townscape, the town centre is a group of heritage buildings unique in Hungary.
Distance from Budapest: 25 km North from Budapest center
Of the approximately 1000 wine cellars standing here before World War II, nowadays about 500 are in use. Two rows created in the mid 1800's are protected heritage sites.
The excavated and reconstructed parts of 14-15th century former Palace show both Gothic and Renaissance features. For a while the official seat of the Hungarian sovereign, it later became their summer residence.
Hungary's largest church and the seat of the Catholic Church inHungary. The Classicist basilica houses a Renaissance masterpiece, the Bakócz Chapel. The Treasury's collection is extremely rich. The basilica is 118 metres long, 49 meteres wide, and 100 metres in height. Arches connect the two 57-metre towers on the left and right of the tympanum at the main entrance.
Opening hours: Mon-Sun 10 am- 4 pm (except during the Services)
Distance from Budapest: 50 km North from Budapest center
Martonvásár, Brunszvik u. 2.
The Baroque mansion was reconstructed in the early 1870's in an English neo-Gothic style. Beethoven spent an extended period of time here as a guest of the Brunszvik family and a museum is dedicated to his memory.
Ruins of the Church and Monastery
2072 Zsámbék, Korvin János u.
Constructed in Romanesque style in the first half of the 13th century, then reconstructed in Gothic style, today its remains give a fair idea of how the three-aisle basilica-shaped sanctuary once looked.