Inner City Parish Church
The oldest church in Pest, dating back to the 12th century. Built in Romanesque style on the site of the grave of martyr Bishop Gellért, who was, according to the legend, put in a barrel and rolled off of today’s Gellért hill.
Nothing remains of the original church; during the 17th century it was used by the Turks as a mosque. Following a fire in 1723 it was rebuilt in Baroque style, but the interior has neo-Classical elements as well. It features a Gothic chapel, a neo-Gothic carved pulpit, some 15th century Italian frescoes and 20th century main altar.
Address: 1056 Budapest, Március 15. tér 2.
Public Transport Access: Metro line 3 and busses 5,7,8,173,112 Ferenciek tere