- Ich liebe Budapest »
The impressive Neo-Gothic spires of this church rise to an impressive 76 metres above the city. Designed by Imre Steindl, the construction was finished in 1901. There is a beautiful rose garden surrounding this Catholic church; thus the name of the square, the ‘Square of Roses” (Rózsák tere).
The Great Synagogue in Dohány street is the world’s second largest synagogue. It was built by the Neolog Jewish community of Budapest between 1854 and 1859; its architect was Ludwig Förster from Vienna, Austria. Parts of the interior were designed by Ferenc Feszl. The flat-ceiling interior can accommodate nearly 3,000: there are 1497 seats for men on the ground floor and 1472 for women on the two upper balconies.
The oldest church in Pest, dating back to the 12th century. Built in Romanesque style on the site of the grave of martyr Bishop Gellért, who was, according to the legend, put in a barrel and rolled off of today’s Gellért hill.
The church is officially called The Church of Our Lady, and served as a coronation church from the 16th century on. Its vast ecclesiastical collection and treasury is open for visitors. During the centuries, the church underwent several major transformations, the first of which was the addendum of the Mary-gate (Mária-kapu), and in 1470, the 60-metre south side tower, with the King’s raven ensign, was erected.
The St. Stephen’s Basilica is Budapest’s largest church; it can hold 8,500 worshippers simultaneously, and its official ecclesiastical name is Lipót City Parish Church. Its main façade overlooks Szent István tér and the Danube via Zrínyi utca. The construction started in 1851, but for various reasons, such as the death of the original architect and the collapse of the dome, it was fully completed only in 1905.