Hungary, is an independent, democratic state located in Central-Europe. The capital of the Hungarian Republic is Budapest. The country lies roughly in the centre of Europe in the Carpathian Basin. It is nearly equidistant from the Atlantic Ocean, the Ural Mountains, the Mediterranean Sea and the North Sea. Hungary does not have a coast, but does contain the biggest lake in Central-Europe, Lake Balaton, which represents a dominant tourism attraction in the region.
The territory of Hungary is 93 036 square kilometres, making it a middle-sized country in world terms. The border of the country is 2217 km long.
Hungary is mostly a flat country, with no great differences in altitude; the lowest spot is south of Szeged, on Gyálarét, just 78 metres above sea level; and the highest point is on the top of Mátra hill, Kékes-tető, 1015 metres.
Almost the whole area of the Carpathian Basin belongs to the watershed of the Danube. Hungary is rich in natural springs, both freshwater and thermal, and is actually the richest area in thermal springs in Europe. The thermal waters that contain numerous minerals often exceed 70 °C.
The country lies on the border of three climate zones, and so the weather is affected by the Eastern wet continental, the Western oceanic and the South-South-Western Mediterranean climate zones. The average yearly middle temperature is +8-12 °C. The lowest temperature is -2-4 °C in January and the highest is in July, 23-25 °C. Half of the yearly moisture falls during the winter as snow.
Central Europe, northwest of Romania
temperate; cold, cloudy, humid winters; warm summers
rule of law based on Western model; accepts compulsory ICJ jurisdiction, with reservations
• Area: 93 030 square km
• Population: 10 067 000 inhabitant
• Popularity: 108 inhabitant/square km
• Time-zone: central-european time: GMT + 1 hour
• Summer-time: march-september + 1 hour
• Formal language: hungarian
• State: republic
• Currency: forint (HUF or Ft)
• Coins: 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 200 Ft
• Bank notes: 500, 1000, 2000, 5000, 10 000, 20 000 Ft
• Household power:220/230 V
• Geographical location: Hungary is located in central-europe, lies in the Carpathian Basin bordering 7 countries: (Slovakia, Ukraine, Romania, Serbia and Montenegro, Croatia, Slovenia, Austria)
• Frontiers length: 2246 km
• Main rivers: Duna (Danube) 417 km, Tisza 597 km
• Climate: continental
• International dial number of Hungary: 36, Budapest: 1
• International call: 00 + dial number of country + telephone number
• Home call: 06 + regional dial number + local telephone number
• Public emergency: 112
• Ambulance: 104
• Police: 107
• Fire department: 105
• Information bureau: 198
• International information bureau: 199
• Special information bureau: 197
Telephone numbers of Budapest are seven-digit, countryside numbers are six-digit. Public telephones work with 10, 20, 50, 100 and 200 Ft coins or phonecard.