The visible ruins of the Aquincum Civil Town represent the excavated one third of the central settlement. The structure of the Aquincum Civil Town was greatly influenced by both the area's natural geography and its previous architectural history. The limes road running from north to south was a typical element in the town's layout since its very beginnings. The aquaeductus built along its western side was a similarly characteristic feature.
Irregularities in the line of the city wall, reinforced by bastilles on its western side, may be attributed to the network of drainage ditches and some buildings that were probably erected before the wall's construction. Gates interrupted the city wall where it intersected with the main streets. Excavations in the north, south and west could identify such gates. The oval amphitheatre, located outside the city wall to the north, was also a characteristic feature that defined the look of the city. As previously mentioned, ruins of the Quince Civil Town exhibited in the park around the museum, represent the excavated ca. one third of the settlement. The monuments visible today reflect the results of restoration work carried out between the early 1960's and the beginning of the 1970's.
Address: 1031 Budapest, Szentendrei út 139.
Phone: (36-1) 2501-650
Public Transport Access:
From Batthányi tér by szentendrei suburban railway to Aquincum, from Óbuda, Szentlélek tér by bus 34, 134 or 106 to Aquincum
From 6 April to 30 April the ruin garden is open from 9 am to 5 pm and the museum is open from 10 am to 5 pm; from 1 May to 30 September the ruin garden is open from 9 am to 6 pm and the museum is open from 10 am to 6 pm; from 1 October to 31 October the ruin garden is open from 9 am to 5 pm and the museum is open from 10 am to 5 pm. Quince Museum is closed on Mondays.