Museum of Applied Arts
The Budapest Museum of Applied Arts, one of the oldest of its kind, dates from 1872. It is not just the exhibits but also the architectural splendours of the museum that make it such a pleasure to visit. The three-story building, which first opened its doors in 1896, was designed in Hungarian Art Nouveau style by Ödön Lechner. In contrast to his later work on the Postal Savings Bank, here Lechner has returned to past, mainly Oriental forms and merged them with elements from Hungarian folk-art to produce a new style.
The red granite facing and patterned roof-tiles (prepared in the Zsolnay porcelain factory at Pécs) are particularly fine. On the right near the main entrance is a statue of the architect by B. Farkas (1936). The central inner courtyard -- all in white and covered by a glass roof -- and the hall with the ticket-office provide a fairytale amalgam of Indian and Moorish styles. Some of the exhibition rooms are situated around this inner courtyard and open into it through large arcades. The construction of the inner courtyard with its white-painted steel supports is extremely modern.
Address: Budapest, Üllői út 33-37.
Phone: (36-1) 2175-222
Opening hours: From 10 am to 6 pm; closed on Mondays
Public Transport Access: Underground M3 – Ferenc körút station