Hungarian National Museum
In 1802, Count Ferenc Széchényi offered his rich collection to the nation to establish the Hungarian National Museum. That is why, Hungary respects this year as the foundation of the Hungarian National Museum. Those days, the collection comprised 11884 prints, 1156 manuscripts, 142 books, maps and copperplates. The collection first was placed in the Pauline monastery in Pest. The Diet of 1807 nationalized the institute and called upon the nation to donate to the new Museum.
One of the most important of the donations was Julia Festetich mineral collection, which formed the base of the later Natural History Museum. Beside the donations, purchasing was the way to enrich the collection. The Hungarian Diet of 1832-36 bought Miklós Jankovich's valuable collection.
Address: 1088 Budapest, Múzeum krt.14
Phone: (36-1) 338-2122
Opening hours: Every day from 10 am to 6 pm; closed on Mondays
Public Transport Access: Metro Line 3 Kálvin tér; Metro Line 2 Astoria; Bus Nr 9;Bus Nr 15; Tram Nr 47 or 49